Ghana : Some Facts
- The population of Ghana is estimated at 28.04 million people.
- Average life expectancy in Ghana is 62 years.
- Literacy: 34% of adults (those aged over 15 years) are illiterate.
- Education: only 60% of the population have attended school for any period of time.
- Malaria is the cause of 20% of deaths in children under 5.
- Ghana became the first African country to gain independence from European colonisers in 1957.
- Football is played at national level and loved by almost everyone; the senior national team is called the Black Stars. The Ghanaian footballers Michael Essien, Tony Yeboah, Baba Rahman and Albert Adomah are well known Ghanaian players in the UK.